Saturday, April 25, 2009

Message from Carlo Spera

We did lots of hard work today me and Pepe, cleaning the mud from the pig's stall, bringing hey for the cows and reinforcing further their stall, relocating the donkeys and feeding all the animals.

But all the time I was thinking of joining Luisa for a small trip to L'Aquila where I was told something I longed for was waiting for me. After the morning work was done Luisa and me hurried to get to the damaged city of L'Aquila and forgot everything that we were able to forget in the rush, car keys, i.d., the camera on the windshield, etc. We were really eager to get there! Luisa's cousin was waiting to meet us there! She's such a wonderful person to be around.

When we finnally got to meet her and her parents she gave me a present from her fiancee, Carlo; a photoreportaje book of the events in Chernobyl that himself wrote and took the photographs for. A masterpiece in my oppinion and from such a modest and "normal" person. I'm also very glad he signed it and wrote a beautiful dedication on it. Thank you Carlo, get well soon!

I got to meet Carlo Spera and his humour and behaviour, very down to earth didn't give me a glimpse of his photographic talent and biting wit (has to be so when writing about all the things that went wrong with Cernobyl). On the occasion we met, the first day I arrived in L'Aquila and the smaller earthquakes that preceded the destruction of the city happened he showed me and explained to me some of the compositions in his book. A work of art and I would like to share it with more people for the 100.000 of words a few photos can convey. You can find out more about him and his work here:
- IN ENGLISH
- IN ITALIAN

Even more surprises were waiting for us when we got back home at about 2:30 PM. After lunch Lindsey's biscotti were the highlight of the table sweets! I wanted to take a photo but Luisa's camera was broken.:( Everybody enjoyed. They were made on a good occasion as well, with more than 9 friends of the family coming to visit and help with fruit, sweets, milk and other things needed around. The friends of the family are all very sensitive to the situation of the Commentucci family and it's nice to see their solidarity.

After lunch we even went out and planted and chestnut tree that one of the visiting family brought. A symbolic gesture of rebirth and autonomy that Pepe seemed to enjoy allot. And it was great to have a sunny day after so many rainy ones.

Collenoveri, outside Aglioni but close to the family house.

Everybody threw some ground in.
Yours truly, giving a helping hand.


Pepe, Erica and their friends.


Radu Burtescu - Romania, Constanta

No comments:

Post a Comment