Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The fun to be had listening to a Romanian talking Italian


Today we got to work with one of the donkeys (the male of course). We had to carry a bathtub to the cow enclosure for them to drink out of. We made a big hole in the ground for the bathtub to fit in and the water that was coming from higher ground to pour in the bathtub. It was hard work, digging with the shovel, the hole making tool, cutting, sawing, hammering, stomping and carrying. To bad we didn't have a camera to capture the funny moment of Pepe being stuck in the mud, loosing his boot in it and than having Bruna placing his foot back in it and tuging to get it free. Some more comic relief came by mistake from me while trying to use me best Italian to let Bruna know where the saw is: "sta a la COGLIONI" (meaning "it's at the testicles".... what I wanted to say was "CONIGLI", rabbits). Still, it was one of the most tiring days for me so far maybe also because I don't sleep that well at night for some reason I'm not aware of (maybe the earthquakes... hmmm). So while everyone was loud and talkative in the tent I went in one of the rooms and collapsed into a deep sleep. I woke up probably a few hours later and seeing a brand new pile of wood in front of the tent I started cutting away at it. That was about it for the day if you don't count the walk I took with Luisa and the lamb in the rain on one of the roads that goes up and around Aglioni and than past the family house in Collenoveri.

And as a word of advice to future volunteers: never state the obvious that "we eat to much" (here at "La Canestra", even in tents) or the teasing at meals time will have no end. Just enjoy!

The "caught in the headlights" look that Pepe has in the photo is my revenge for the teasing over dinner (even though he was the only one not teasing me!). In reality I just wanted to post a picture of us over the dinner table.


Radu Burtescu - Romania, Constanta

No comments:

Post a Comment